Meet East Van BJJ’s coaching team
East Van BJJ is always sending our coaches around the world to compete, attend seminars, and be involved with the international BJJ community.
Walter Buse Head Coach, Brown Belt
Walter is an active competitor and dedicated student of BJJ. He was introduced to grappling in 1997 at the age of 13 through the Vancouver College wrestling program. Walter started Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in 2005, and has trained under the wing of Marc Marins and Jeff Mezaros since 2006. In 2008 Walter began training Muay Thai with Master Song of Muay Thai Kai Sing Song. In 2009 he went for a 5 month full-time training trip to Thailand where he competed in Muay Thai while continuing his BJJ studies.
After completing a Bachelor of Commerce at UBC, Walter decided to dedicate his life to BJJ with the intention to open a gym. In July of 2012, after consulting with his coaches, he spent 7 months training at the best BJJ academy in the world, Alliance Sao Paulo, under the tutelage of Fabio Gurgel. Walt trained and competed alongside the Alliance team for the duration of his time in Brazil.
Martial Arts Experience
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Wrestling
Over 30 podium finishes in BJJ competition including:
- 2015 Pan American Championships – Brown, Lightweight
- 2015 Copa Katana – Brown, Lightweight
- 2014 World masters – Brown, Lightweight
- 2014 The Revolution (Washington, USA) – Brown, Lightweight
- 2014 BC Provincial Championships – Brown, Lightweight
- 2014 BC Provincial Championships – Brown, Absolute
- 2014 Vancouver Championships – Brown, Lightweight
- 2014 Invitation Only 8-Man Super Bracket (Money Division) – Brown, Openweight
- 2013 Roots Challenge – Brown, Lightweight
- 2013 Western Canadian BJJ Championships – Brown, Lightweight
- 2013 Western Canadian BJJ Championships – Brown, Absolute
- 2013 Roots BJJ Challenge – Brown, Absolute
- 2013 Okanagan Summer Open – Brown, Absolute
- 2013 Okanagan Summer Open – Brown, Absolute (No Gi)
- 2012 Paulista (Sao Paulo, Brazil) – Brown, Light Weight
- 2012 National Open (Sao Paulo, Brazil) – Brown, Lightweight
- 2012 Grapplers Inc. – Brown, Openweight
- 2011 BC Championships – Purple, Openweight
Amar Singh Coach, Brown Belt
Amar is in his eighth year as a jiu-jitsu practitioner, having received his blue belt from Professors Fateh Belkalem and Bruno Fernandes (Gracie Barra), followed by his purple belt and brown belt from Professor Jorge Britto (Toronto BJJ/Ribiero Jiu-Jitsu). Amar was very active on the competition scene in Toronto throughout his BJJ career, and has now settled in Vancouver where he looks forward to continuing his evolution, competition, and camaraderie with the strong and growing East Van BJJ team.
Martial Arts Experience
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Wushu, Muay Thai
- 2015 IBJJF Pan Jiu-Jitsu Championship – Brown, Master 1, Featherweight
- 2014 IBJJF Pan Jiu-Jitsu Championship – Brown, Master 1, Featherweight
- 2014 Copa Katana (Superfight) – Brown, Featherweight
- 2013 Northwest BJJ Championship – Brown, Featherweight (No Gi)
- 2013 Northwest BJJ Championship – Brown, Featherweight
- 2013 BJJ Revolution (Washington, USA)- Brown, Absolute
- 2013 NAGA Pacific (Hawaii, USA) – Expert Featherweight (No Gi)
- 2013 NAGA Pacific (Hawaii, USA) – Brown, Featherweight
- 2013 Tiger Balm International Open – Advanced No Gi
- 2012 IBJJF Toronto Open – Purple, Featherweight
- 2012 Ontario Open International Championship – Purple, Master 1 Featherweight
- 2012 Cia Paulista Open – Purple, Absolute
- 2012 Cia Paulista Open – Advanced, Featherweight (No Gi)
- 2012 Cia Paulista Open – Advanced, Absolute (No Gi)
- 2012 Vancouver BJJ Championship – Purple, Absolute
- 2012 Vancouver BJJ Championship – Purple, Featherweight
- 2011 IBJJF Montreal Open – Purple, Lightweight
- 2011 Ontario Open International Championship – Purple, Featherweight (No Gi)
- 2011 Ontario Provincial Championship – Purple, Featherweight
Art Curry Coach, Brown Belt
Art started training BJJ in Australia under the legendary Peter de Been whose BJJ credentialing can be traced back through Carlos Gracie Jr., Carlos Gracie Sr., all the way to Mitsuyo Maeda.
Art competed regularly as he advanced from white to purple belt, winning and medaling in all of Australia’s premiere competitions: Victorian State Championship, The Australia Cup (national championship) and the Pan Pacific Championships. Shortly before returning to Canada, Art received his brown belt after just five years of training. Upon moving to Vancouver, he made East Van BJJ his new jiu jitsu home. Art’s style of jiu jitsu is heavily grounded in strong fundamentals focusing on control and positional domination.
Eric Roy Kids Program Head Coach, Purple Belt
Since beginning his training in 2009, Eric gained experience coaching both ‘for-profit’ and ‘non-profit’ organizations. He actively runs programs while also serving as a board member. Through his experiences in coaching kids programs in Greater Vancouver, Eric has seen how valuable time on the mat can be. He believes that Brazilian Jiu-jitsu helps keep kids healthy and active on a regular basis. It helps to grow self-confidence, and teaches discipline and focus. Having fun while enjoying class is a philosophy at the forefront of his teaching. When he’s not teaching at East Van BJJ, Eric trains with his coach Gary Herman in Coquitlam, BC. He’s a successful competitor in Sport BJJ, locally and internationally, recently winning Gold in the Featherweight weight Purple belt division at Copa Katanan. Eric is focused and dedicated towards coaching and competition training with the East Van BJJ team. He is excited to bring his experience to the club to help build the next generation of this championship team!